Pages

Friday 10 October 2014

Outing in Central

Hello everyone, I know I haven’t been blogging regularly, it’s been quite a hectic summer with full-time work and then trying to get a place on a PGCE and then getting a place and sorting out finance and somewhere to lives, this list is practically endless. However, all that has calmed down now so I have enough time to sit down and write my blogs.

In this blog, as you can tell by the title, I’m going to talk about a trip I took to central. I began my day on Oxford Street with my friend Amy (pictured below), where I visited a few shops. I did plan to do a lot of shopping as I have just received my Student Finance but then I forgot that going shopping midday on a Saturday in Oxford Street is not the best idea I’ve ever had L So in the end I managed to go in Primark and HMV before feeling completely claustrophobic and departing to head to Charing Cross.

As I mentioned earlier I have just received my Student Finance and when this happens it usually means I’m going to see a West End show… or two. I have always wanted to go and see a Matinee performance followed by dinner followed by an evening performance; this is exactly what I did.

The first show I went to see for a Matinee performance was Forbidden Broadway, an Off-Broadway revue parodying musical theatre, particularly Broadway musicals. It was created in 1982 and has spawned 20 different versions of the show (West End being the twentieth). Forbidden Broadway took the current West End shows and mocked them, the show was performed by four actors (Including Christina Bianco who you may remember from her diva impressions for the song Let It Go: http://www.mstarz.com/articles/17891/20130813/christina-bianco-diva-impressions-adele-cher-britney-spears-aguilera-more.htm) . This show had me wetting myself, it was literally one of the funniest things I think I have ever seen. I advise anyone to go and watch this, even if you don’t know much about musical theatre then I still advise you go as you will still find some laughs in it.


The second play I went to see was Speed-the-Plow at the Playhouse Theatre in Charing Cross. As you may have heard on the news or on the internet, this did star one of my favourite people ever… Lindsay Lohan. I was quite excited and nervous about seeing this performance, I had heard mixed reviews on the play, so I really didn't know what to expect. I did see an article on the Daily Mail website that had gathered loads of reviews and made a report on the show,  quite a few Theatre reviewers that I had studied on my drama course had rated the show quite high, so that made me feel a little bit better about going to see Lohan’s performance.

In terms of the show itself, at first I did not rate the play at all. The performances were great, Lindsay Lohan, Nigel Lindsay and Richard Schiff all did fantastic in their performances but I just felt like the play itself was a bit boring. However, as a drama student I thought I would still buy the play text and give it a read as some times I find that the play is really good but then a production of it could be quite crap. I was right, when I read the text on the train home it was actually an alright play.


So that’s all that happened really. Obviously the highlight was seeing Lindsay Lohan because she is one of my favourite people in the world. Speak soon. J

No comments:

Post a Comment